Category Archives: Crime

Toronto van incident: nine dead and at least 16 injured after van ploughs into crowd

Nine people have been killed and at least 16 injured – several of them seriously – after a van jumped the kerb in a northern suburb of Toronto and ran into a crowd of pedestrians, according to police.

The driver fled the scene of the incident, at a busy intersection in the north of the Canadian city, but was arrested several blocks away.

The arrest followed a tense standoff with officers on the street.

Bystander videos appeared to show the driver pointing an object at the officers, who can be heard shouting at him to get down.

Toronto police spokesperson, Gary Long said:

“Reports were that a white van mounted the kerb, drove down the sidewalk at southbound Yonge, south of Finch, and struck eight to 10 people possibly, the numbers aren’t confirmed yet.”

“Thank you to the first responders working at the scene – we’re monitoring the situation closely.”

The United States and Europe have seen an increase in driving attacks in recent years. In October 2017, a man in New York drove a van down a bicycle path, killing eight people.

 

Update – 24th April 16:00:

Alek Minassian, 25, was charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder.

Mr Minassian wore a white jumpsuit, with a shaved head and his hands behind his back. He showed little emotion.

He was read the charges and ordered to have no contact with surviving victims. He will return to court on 10 May.

A man believed to be a relative of Mr Minassian’s sat in the front row of the court and wept. Asked by reporters after the hearing if he had anything to say, the family member replied “sorry.”

by Ben – Correspondent for the General News section.

Vauxhall Astra driven into a group of children in Glasgow

At around 15:30 on Saturday afternoon, a man drove his silver Vauxhall Astra into a group of children,aged between 12 and 14,.Det Insp Peter Sharp said: “This vehicle was deliberately driven at this group of children and as such we are treating this incident at attempted murder”. A 14 year old girl is in a serious but stable condition while four of the others, 3 girls (aged 12, 13 and 14) and one boy (aged 12), were treated for minor injuries at the scene or at local hospitals or at the scene.

Det Insp Peter Sharp also said “At this time I would appeal to any witnesses to this incident, or anyone with information that may assist this investigation, including anyone who may have details of the silver coloured Vauxhall Astra involved to contact police as a matter of urgency.”

Ant McPartlin arrested.

Saturday Night Takeaway will not air this weekend as co-host Ant McPartlin returns to treatment, ITV has said. This is after his arrest on suspicion of drink driving in south-west London on Sunday afternoon.

He was involved in a collision with two other cars while driving his Mini and was arrested at around 4pm after failing a breathalyzer test. A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said he was “taken to a south London police station for questioning and has since been released under investigation.”

Last year he entered rehab after an addiction with painkillers after a knee operation in 2015.

 

Ant McPartlin news: Star’s Mini after the crash

The “cold-blooded execution” in Aldi

Neville Hord has been sentenced to at least 30 years in prison for stabbing the daughter of his former partner to death in a “cold-blooded public execution” in an Aldi store. The judge had said that he is very unlikely to be released.

The daughter worked at the Aldi in skipton where the incident took place. The motive of the killing was revenge because of family issues.

He admitted murdering his daughter Jodie in front of shoppers in an attack that ,the judge said, was planned to cause “the maximum pain, horror, shock and trauma”. Some of the witnesses of this trajedy were children.

Some detectives had descovered that during his planning of the attack, Neville had planted a GPS tracker to his daughters car and also had plans on buying a gun. He had a knife, crossbow and axe on the day it took place.

A statement read to the court, Willsher’s husband, Malcolm, said his life and that of his five-year-old daughter, Megan, had been ripped apart. He said mother and daughter had an “unbreakable bond” and Megan had told him: “I hate you Daddy for not bringing Mummy back.”

Jamie Carragher faces no further sanctions.

On Saturday afternoon, Jamie Carragher was attacked by the public when a video surfaced on the internet of the ex-footballer spitting at a Manchester United’s fan.

This was followed by the result of the match between Liverpool versus Manchester United (2-1).

Amateur footage revealed that Carragher was being heavily taunted before reaching his breaking point and leaning over the car window to spit at the two fans. Carragher described it as ‘a moment of madness’ and that ‘it was the worst mistake of his career’. He has repeatedly apologised to the family in question.

Sky has also added their input and claimed that while Carragher will be suspended from the rest of the football season, and that he won’t be paid at all from his £1 million pound a year job, he will face no further sanctions against him. But, Sky has admitted that Carragher will undergo an interview prior to the next season to see if he is still fit to go on. Any other details has been said to not ‘be in the public’s interest’.

Jamie Carragher’s job of football analysing has also been under immense pressure lately. Ever since the outrageous video has surfaced, fans have been calling in to sack Carragher from his job. Sky has not yet touched on the subject.

The family who was exploited has since been identified and has been recently receiving death threats. Carragher has begged his fans on twitter to leave the family alone and that out of the whole incident, he is the one to blame. Although the father has been accused of using his phone whilst driving, no charges will be pressed against him.

 

Attacks in Westminister – What went on and why?

 

attacks-in-westminster

Attacks in Westminster – What went on and why?

On Wednesday the 22nd March a terrorist attack took place where a man named Khalid Masood killed four people in a mere 82 seconds. The police said the attack began at 14:40:08 when the hire car Khalid Masood rented mounted the pavement on Westminster Bridge, weaving along the footpath and road for 30 seconds until he crashed into the perimeter fence of the Palace of Westminster, he then left the car at 14:40:51 and 39 seconds later was shot by a police firearms officer, who was part of the close protection team of the defense secretary, Sir Michael Fallon. Police are trying to establish whether he had been inspired  by terrorist propaganda or if others encouraged, supported or directed him.

After crashing his hired Hyundai SUV into the railings in front of Parliament Yard, he burst through the gate to the Palace of Westminster with two large knives where he stabbed an unarmed police officer named PC Keith Palmer who was just 48 years old. He later died from his injuries.

The consequences of the attack are five deaths (including Khalid Masood himself) and fifty people were injured. Also, 15 people are still being treated in hospital.

Three members of the public died following the car rampage on Westminster Bridge. They were: mother-of-two Aysha Frade from London; US tourist Kurt Cochran from Utah and Leslie Rhodes, 75, from Streatham, South London.

PC Palmer and Khalid Masood also died despite attempts by paramedics to save them both.

Before the attack he had a string of criminal convictions including GBH, possession of offensive weapons and public order offences, but he had not been convicted of any terrorism offences.

Masood’s first conviction was in November 1983 for criminal damage and his last conviction was in December 2003 for possession of a knife. He was investigated by MI5 some years ago over concerns of violent extremism but was no longer deemed to be a threat.

Police have seized 2,700 items in searches about the attack, including “massive amounts of computer data.” Approximately 3,500 witnesses – including 1,000 from Westminster Bridge and 2,500 from with the Parliamentary estate, have contacted police about the attack and their view on it.

By Jack and Ben – Correspondents for the General News section

« Older Entries